Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mom, I'm A Woman Now (After over a decade of estrangement, I am reunited with my mother on Mother's Day 2016



Today is a very special day for me, and I take a few seconds to think about one of the questions people ask in a demeaning manner "What does your mother think? Yeah, I bet she's proud of you!" Well here is my response to all the nay sayers and those who think that my mother should be ashamed of me. After being estranged for over ten years, I telephoned, spoke with, and wished my mother, the woman who gave birth to me, a Happy Mother's Day. I spoke with my mother about my having become a woman, and she told me that she had heard, and that she hopes that I am happy. I told her that for the very first time in my life I am happy, and she told me that she is happy for me and she supports my decision. Also, today, I spoke with my half brother, also after two decades of estrangement, and he also told me he had heard about my M2F transition. He said, "We all have our lives to live and we each have our paths and I'm happy for you that you found yours."
For my family to come and stand at my side, showing their love and support for me, especially at this time in my life, means more to me than I am able to express in mere words. I'd spent many years feeling all alone and like I didn't have a family to belong to, and when I began my dual transitions, I never expected anyone from my family to accept of like what I am doing with my physical appearance, just like I have never expected anyone out there in society to like or accept. I always figured that the time would come when my family would see me for who and what I am, and not the devil that many thought I was, and it would be the same for at least some others too. I told my mother that my name is now Eva Medusa and she said, "ok, but I'm still going to call you Ricky because to me you're Ricky". I told her that that is a mother's privilege and she can call me by whatever name she wants to or feels comfortable with. I've not seen my beloved mother in many years and I miss her dearly. One of my fondest memories of her is her beautiful smile and what a beautiful woman she is, and this morning when I spoke with her on the phone, I could see her smile, I could feel how happy she was to get this phone call from me today. How I feel right now is that no matter what happens in my life, having had the opportunity to talk to my mother today, to hear her beautiful voice on the phone, just to be able to tell her that I love her and wish her a Happy Mother's Day, makes nothing else matter. To one of the most beautiful women I have had the privilege and honor to know and to call my mother in this life, my hero, Alma Gloria Perez, Happy Mother's Day. Love, your new daughter, Eva (Ricky)

No comments:

Post a Comment